Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Cloth diapers, who knew?

So if any of you are around the age of my parents, when I say cloth diapers, you say "yeah right!" Or, "those make great cleaning rags once you decide you can't do it!" Well, I have to say that we have been using them for almost three weeks, and they are great! Of course, we still have a long way to go. However, cloth diapers are much different than they were when I was a baby. These are not the same diapers that once needed to be folded and pinned. We are using Fuzzi Bunz brand cloth diapers. Check these out: http://www.fuzzibunz.com/

Now, we chose this brand mainly because of two reasons. First, we liked the idea of the snaps. They don't wear out like velcro does. Second, we liked the adjustable legs. Since we chose the one size fits from newborn to toddler, the adjustable legs seems to be practical.

So, are these the best brand? I'm not sure. I do know that I have been having a bit of a problem with leaking. Sometimes this happens overnight, but the past few days we have been having problems just after an hour or two. I think it might be time to "strip" the diapers.

What is stripping, you might ask? This comes from the Fuzzi Bunz website:

1. Get a good detergent like Vaska for FuzziBunz – a residue free environmentally friendly detergent.
2. Run all of your diapers through a hot wash with Vaska for FuzziBunz TWICE!
3. Run all of your diapers through a hot wash with NO detergent.
4. Run a cold rinse. If you have hard water you may want to add a water softener such as Calgon Water Softener to soften your water and help release any left over detergent.
5. If you still see bubbles in your rinse run another cold rinse.
6. You can either sun your diapers or tumble on low. We recommend the Sun!

I will try "stripping" and see if it fixes my problem, and let you all know!

1 comment:

  1. I was the parent who scoffed at the announcement of Brittany using the cloth diapers. My statement to her was yep, I tried that, used them one day! I have to admit that I am pleasantly surprised at how they are now days! They maybe a little more work but seem to work just as well as disposables and in the long run much cheaper! Good job Britt!

    ReplyDelete